Founded in 1956 by Danilo Cattadori, Alpa was one of the first builders of fiberglass sailing boats in Europe. Early on the company gained a reputation for it’s high quality fiberglass FLYING DUTCHMAN class boats. The first larger yacht was the ALPA 50, introduced in 1969. Far more successful was the Van de Stadt designed ALPA 6.7. This was followed by the 9.24, 9.5 and 11.5. Other yachts were the Alpa 42, Alpa 38, 19, 21, 27 and 34. Although the Alpa name was resurrected in 1990, the production sailboat operation closed it’s doors in 1978.