Founded by Charles A. Herrmann. By 1923, the business employed 15 people. In the same year the factory burned to the ground. By 1924, production had continued at a new facility. By 1955, the Company offered 167 different models including inboards, outboards, canoes, dinghies, and sailboats. A 20,000 square foot addition was added to the factory in 1956. In 1958 the Company began manufacturing clinker planked boats using marine plywood. This represented the final construction method employed in wooden boat manufacture. In 1966 the last wooden boat was built, and production was converted entirely to fiberglass. The Penn Yan Boat Company enjoyed a world-wide reputation as an innovator and manufacturer of fine wooden boats over a 45-year period. Surviving examples are highly prized by collectors today. More information can be found from the Finger Lakes Boating Museum.