Cheoy Lee Shipyard has been owned and operated by the same family for more than a century. As a building and a repair yard at Po Tung Point in Shanghai, Cheoy Lee began producing steam powered craft. After 1936, the business moved to what was then the British territory of Hong Kong. By the mid 1950’s, the shipyard diversified into the production of teak sailing and motor yachts and the success of the newly formed pleasure craft division was soon apparent. By the mid 1960’s, a majority of the company’s production was pleasure craft, with large numbers being exported to the United States. During the 1960’s, Cheoy Lee was one of the pioneers in the development, testing and use of fiberglass construction techniques and a forerunner in the use of GRP/Foam sandwich technology in the marine field. In 1977, Cheoy Lee built a 130’ motor sailer, the world’s largest GRP vessel of the time. Other than on a strictly custom basis, Cheoy Lee stopped building sailing yachts in 1990 to concentrate on large Motor Yachts. To accommodate this expansion, the company moved to a new purpose-built, state-of-the-art shipyard facility in mainland China.
Great choice! Your favorites are temporarily saved for this session. Sign in to save them permanently, access them on any device, and receive relevant alerts.